Monday, September 19, 2011

Blog 1 - Vapheio Cup


     The vapheio cup is a piece of art from the Ancient Aegean. What I find interesting about it is the amount of detail in it; it must have been very difficult to make such intricacies stand out the way they do what with the technique of repousse being used. It also is only about 4.5 inches tall, making the details even harder to produce. What I don't like about it is that the handle looks bent although this may not be intended, and it's not solid gold, but lined with sheet gold. I'm not a big fan of gold to begin with. Regardless of what I see as negatives, it is still a very nice looking piece, and seems as if it is still functional. Aegean art in general is somewhat interesting to me, not as interesting as metal album art or Renaissance artwork, but is still a regional art style that I find somewhat worthwhile.

3 comments:

  1. I love gold. Gold stands out to me more than what silver does. It sucks that the handle is bent but it probably was buried in the ground or something like that for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find working in the negative a very difficult process so I cannot even imagine the planning it took to make this cup. I don't think I would have liked how the metal felt against my teeth when I drank though. It definitely feels like it would have been reserved only for special ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the detail in this cup, and how the images pop out of the gold perfectly. I wouldn't mind drinking out of this cup because of the look of it.

    ReplyDelete